Friday, June 13, 2008

J. Morgan Puett

J. Morgan Puett has been a huge inspiration for my friends and I over the years-especially my friend Amy Zurcher of ShopSCAD who shares a similar aesthetic to Ms. Puett. Years ago Amy and I worked for Pam Pemberton (who I promise will be the subject of an upcoming post!) who owned an incredible shop in Fayetteville, Arkansas called, Hi Lines. Pam introduced us and her lucky customers to Puett when she carried her exquisite clothing line. J. Morgan Puett lives her art. Its her way of life-her purpose. I cannot possibly begin to explain her magic to you- but I encourage you to discover her through the project catalogue on her website and this New York Times article about her most recent endeavor. It would be a dream for us to attend one of her workshops someday- as we've been studying her for years, painting bedrooms "J. Morgan Puett blue", and dreaming of creating a world at least half as comfortable, thoughtful and beautifully homespun!

Puett's home at Mildred's Lane .
Photo: Phil Mansfield for The New York Times


Puett's kitchen at Mildred's Lane
Photo: Phil Mansfield for The New York Times

Mildred's Lane Porch
Photo: Phil Mansfield for The New York Times

Puett's famous showroom with dirt floor
Broome Street Store, NYC 1990.

Wooster Street Store, 1993

Wooster Street Store, 1993

Shoes preserved in beeswax.
Puett archived the contents of her New York Store by preserving her last collection in
beeswax which was resurrected for exhibition in Switzerland in 1998.

Wooster Street Store display, 1993.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I was so excited to see your post......I can't remember where I first discovered J. Morgan Puett but her aestetic just blows my mind. Pam!!!! I used to live in Fayetteville and Hi Lines was my very favorite store! Pam is so creative and the store was fabulous. I can't wait to hear about Pam, etc. Thank you!

knack said...

These photos get a big fat WOW from Knack!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Sophie said...

I'm an art student from Virginia Commonwealth University and of of my art professors is a good friend of J. Morgan Puett. My professor actually took our class on a field trip to Mildred's Lane last month on the weekend of Halloween. I actually did not realize how big of a deal it was until I came back.

I got to sleep on the porch with the beautiful canopy and cook in her magnificent kitchen.
It was by far the most amazing Halloween I have ever experienced. It's something that I will remember forever. If you get the chance to visit Mildred's Lane, you definitely should. It is so inspiring!