Thursday, October 1, 2009

Laura Terry and Hboxes Opening Tonight!

I am truly sad I can't attend either of these First Thursday openings tonight in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas! First off, Kathy Thompson is having her Hbox Premiere (remember this post?) at her studio just off the downtown square from 5-8pm.
Hbox by Kathy Thompson

And, just right next door...
Laura Terry and Heather Knight's new exhibit,
Things are Not Perfect in the Garden at DDP Gallery.
Just a Closer Walk with Thee
by Laura Terry
24" x 24" x 2"
mixed media on panel

Worn Earth
by Laura Terry
24" x 24" x 2"
mixed media on panel

Laura's new statement...
“The repertoire of the Southern artist has long included place…But the stage on which these are played out is always the Southern landscape, terrible in its beauty, in its indifference.” Sally Mann, “Deep South”

“…prophecy is a matter of seeing near things with their extensions of meanings and thus of seeing far things up close.”
Flannery O’Connor, “The Grotesque in Southern Fiction”

I am fascinated by the dualities of nature: dark and light, chaos and order, organic and synthetic, the beautiful and the grotesque. These dualities provide balance, shifting the pendulum of my view back and forth, near and distant. My eye is a camera, with lenses both microscopic and wide-angled. I look at the surface, then I look deeper, and the drawings and paintings are made from the most obvious and the hidden. I record the landscape as I see it, observant of these opposites, and I remove elements from their context to reveal their individual forms: uniquely beautiful, universally grotesque. I imagine their terrestrial origins – the seed, the root, the mycelia – as the paintings shift between the seen and the unseen, the real and the ideal, the ground and the sky. What is clear is there is no need to search far, no need to look beyond the garden. -Laura Terry

2 comments:

blue moss said...

they both look so fun...wish i was closer too! so many lovely things out there...
.....i was driving to the mall today...wishing that my city had "stores" that had all the lovely things you can find on the internet....needless to say, i left the mall empty handed!
so glad we can see these things even though we are so far away
hope you are well
michelle

Anonymous said...

Both artists' work looks fascinating. Thanks for introducing them to me.