Monday, July 14, 2008

The Black Spot Books

I spent some time last evening admiring the work of Margaux from Philadelphia on her website, The Black Spot Books. She creates the loveliest handmade journals and jewelry from antique found bits and pieces. In her words:
My arts are made from olde things, treasures found and recovered from misfortune and neglect, relics of the unusual, the confused and the macabre, cut and pulled and bound into wearable curiosities and inscribable keepsakes. I used to make them for me and now I make them for everyone.....
The leather I use has been bartered from farms in Ecuador, ripped from old chairs in Holland, taken from boots and shoes and saddles, and found in abandoned houses across the United States.

2 comments:

lily pottery said...

oh, how i DO love these books...

shopSCAD said...

I love little old books and tooth necklaces! Something really wonderful and personal about both. Remember the piece we sold with one of your baby teeth? We have 2 necklaces with a tooth at the shop right now.

Amy Z.