Friday, January 30, 2009

Ice Storm hits my hometown...

As the power slowly returns to areas around Fayetteville, Arkansas, I've been seeing these heartbreaking photos come in from friends and family. Arkansas is usually blessed with fairly mild winters and short periods of sweltering heat...but once in a while, something like this hits and utterly devastates the landscape. It looks like a very dangerous situation with those limbs hanging, downed power lines, and treacherous roads. However, today it is forecast to be in the low 50's, so I imagine the scene is about to get even messier. My heart is with you all as you begin the work of digging out...xoxo
Looking down my parents driveway.

Looking out onto the front pasture and tree-lined drive to the right.


Gate going through to the backyard and pasture.

A precarious tree looms over the road.
Photo by my friend and photographer, Mitzi Jones.

Mitzi also caught these three little signs of nature's perseverance.
I always worry about the animals...but I know they are smarter than I am!
Photo by Mitzi Jones. (Thank you!)

6 comments:

tarabu said...

devastatingly beautiful - hope all are well

Liz Demos said...

I know this must be so devastating for everyone there but the pictures are breathtakingly beautiful to me. I can't help but see beauty in the best and worst nature has to offer.

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Very dramtic photos. The last one with the chickadees is quite lovely. No ice here, and we're glad of that.

Happy weekend,
Tina

Unknown said...

Those pictures are beuatiful and frightening at the same time!

Stay safe and warm :)

Gina @ Feather Your Nest said...

Hi Katie! I've been following your blog a long time and had no idea you were a fellow Arkansas girl. I'm just over in Eureka Springs & this week was definitely the most devestating weather I've ever seen. We were without power inside the city for 4 days, people in the country are still without power.

Really enjoy your blog!!

Melissa de la Fuente said...

I hope your folks are okay Katie...ice storms sure do provide gorgeous views though, don't they?
xo
Melis